When we were kids my mom always made pancakes for breakfast on Sunday mornings. I’m always tempted to keep the tradition up but Sunday’s are always busy days! Making these Banana Chocolate Chip Quinoa Flake Muffins gives me the same warm comforting feeling as having pancakes all day long!
You can’t deny the combination of chocolate, banana and pecans. Topped with some maple syrup this is a great way to use heart healthy quinoa flakes in your diet.
Sometimes health can get compromised when you use chocolate chips. Check out your grocery store for some healthy options – semi sweet, dark, sugar free or vegan free can taste just as good or even better then regular chocolate chips.
Depending on my mood I’ll either makes these as muffins, as a loaf or on a pan like an actual pancake. muffins and loaves make for easier transportation and packaging to share with friends and family.
Cinnamon and nutmeg also deserve a shout out in this recipe so use as much as you’d like but fair warning that nutmeg has a reputation!
In the 12th century it was considered strong enough to fight infection and poisonous enough to cause abortions. (Not that I’m to worried about anyone over-doing it! we all know cinnamon wins against nutmeg.) Cinnamon meanwhile has antiviral, anti fugal properties and may help treat type 2 diabetes!
Banana Chocolate Chip Quinoa Flake Muffins
Prep time: 2 mins
Cook time: 3 mins
Total time: 5 mins
- 12 tablespoon banana, mashed
- 2 eggs
- 2 cup quinoa flakes
- 4 tablespoon chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- Dash of salt
- 4 tablespoon pecans, chopped
- Dash of cinnamon and nutmeg
- Prepare a pan by oiling with a dab of coconut oil. Set aside.
- Drop all ingredients in a small bowl and mix until fully combined.
- Press mixture into prepare dish and even out with fork.
- Place in a preheated oven at 350F and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Allow resting for 1 minute before tipping over onto a plate and smothering with your favorite toppings – a little bit of butter, some Nutella, maple syrup jam or honey!