Warm Avocado - Feta Black Quinoa Salad Posted on 05 Apr 09:43
WARM salad, I know it sounds gross but it's actually pretty delicious! We're not taking about wilting the veggies, just gently tossing them in a warm pan with some coconut oil. This really brings out the mint flavour in the dish and brings a beautiful fragrance into your kitchen.
Generally I use swiss chard for this dish because they hold up well when warmed and the red colour is beautiful on the plate. The black quinoa, pistachios and feta can all be pre-mixed in a bowl to let the flavours marinate together.
While preparing for this dish I had to visit three grocery stores! Apparently everyone has been shopping for chives this week. I really had to evaluate the commercial grocery store system and concluded that I'm looking forward to farmers market time!
Along with adding diversity to your meals, mint leaves are know for being a great appetizer or palate cleanser and promotes digestion. It also aids cases of indigestion or inflammation.
Warm Avocado & Feta Black Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup black quinoa
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 8 oz. greens beet greens, chard that are lightly cooked.
- 10 fresh mint leaves, slivered
- A heaping 1 Tbs. finely sliced fresh chives
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbs. olive oil, plus more as needed
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- Sea salt, to taste
Garnish and Toppings:
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and sliced
- Crumbled feta
- Pistachio nuts
1. Rinse the quinoa in cold water.
2. Bring 2 cups water to a boil.
3. Add the quinoa and salt, then cover about 30 minutes.
4. You should have about 2 1/2 cups cooked quinoa.
5. In a bowl, toss the cooked quinoa with the finely chopped cooked greens, using your fingers to distribute the greens.
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, cumin and a pinch of salt.
2. Pour it over the quinoa and greens, add the mint and chives and toss to coat. Taste for salt.
3. Spoon the quinoa mixture onto a platter. Cover the surface with the avocado, cheese and pistachios and serve.