Sweet Potato, Red Quinoa
and Kale; what other nutrient dense foods can you think of to stuff inside a spring roll? Not usually what you would see if you ordered spring rolls at a restaurant but these offer a great flavour and a hearty meal.
What gives these rolls their full flavour is found in the dressing. Make sure you create lots of extra dressing to dip the spring rolls in after. The kale should be well coated, massaged with clean hands and left to soften while the sweet potatoes cook in the oven.
The sweet potatoes will be coated in coconut oil and the smaller you can slice up the sweet potatoes the easier it will be too roll them in the rice paper. For a healthier option you can find brown rice paper at your local health food store.
in this dish really pops out against the kale and rice paper. You will want to add the quinoa to the kale once it cools down from cooking and fold everything together.
If you're an artist you will love working with rice paper and rolling these into a tight perfect roll. If you aren't an artist then this is going to test your patience a little. You need to soak the rice paper as it lies flat on a pan. Warm water works best and just soak until its malleable, if you leave it to long you won't be able to manipulate it well to create the rolls.
Have fun making these and enjoy eating them as a meal or a snack. They travel well and are a great finger food for parties.
- 1 medium sweet potato diced small
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 2 cups kale
- ¼ cup cooked red quinoa
- 4 rice paper wraps
- Salt + pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1½ teaspoons tamari
- 1 teaspoon miso paste
- 1 grated garlic to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- Water as desired for consistency
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Toss sweet potatoes with coconut oil and season with salt and pepper
- Roast for 20 - 25 minutes until soft and starting to brown
- Toss kale with 1 tablespoon of dressing
- Massage until kale has softened slightly
- Cook and cool red quinoa
- Add cooled quinoa to kale mixture
- Dip one rice paper at a time. Once the rice papers are a little soft, place them on a clean surface
- Lay the kale-quinoa mixture on the center of the paper
- Top with sweet potato and roll the rice paper like a pita wrap
- When ready to serve, slice in half and dip in the remaining dressing