This breakfast is to good not to share! Especially when you get bored of the same old oatmeal this can add a little verity to your morning routine.
Between you and I the recipe says non-fat milk but when I’m craving an extra creamy treat I use whole milk.
When it’s winter time especially, hearty and warm meals are a must have. Do you get the chills during a snowy day? Even if your inside a warm house? thats why I love meals like this so much. It’s like a warm hug from the inside out.
The lemon zest is really what brings all these flavours together. Without it this dish is a little bland. Look in your spice rack for nutmeg or cinnamon to keep it exciting. Never be afraid to try new spices.
Depending what I have on hand I may even switch out the flax seeds for chia seeds. Really you can be as creative as you want! The base with this recipe is always the same – milk and quinoa. What you use to sweeten it can very also. Maple syrup is just so delicious but you can use honey, stevia or agave syrup.
Blueberry Lemon Quinoa Bowl
- 1 pinch of salt
- Rinse quinoa in a fine strainer with cold water.
- Heat milk in a saucepan over medium heat until warm.
- Stir quinoa and salt into the milk; simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove saucepan from heat.
- Stir maple syrup and lemon zest into the quinoa mixture.
- Add blueberries on top or mix them in.
- Top each with 1 teaspoon flax seed to serve.