WARM salad, I know it sounds gross but it's actually pretty delicious! We're not taking about wilting the veggies, just gently tossing them in a warm pan with some coconut oil. This really brings out the mint flavour in the dish and brings a beautiful fragrance into your kitchen.
Generally I use swiss chard for this dish because they hold up well when warmed and the red colour is beautiful on the plate. The black quinoa, pistachios and feta can all be pre-mixed in a bowl to let the flavours marinate together.
While preparing for this dish I had to visit three grocery stores! Apparently everyone has been shopping for chives this week. I really had to evaluate the commercial grocery store system and concluded that I'm looking forward to farmers market time!
Along with adding diversity to your meals, mint leaves are know for being a great appetizer or palate cleanser and promotes digestion. It also aids cases of indigestion or inflammation.
Black Quinoa Feta Salad with Avocado
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 cup black quinoa
- 8 oz. greens beet greens chard that are lightly cooked
- 10 leaves mint fresh, slivered
- 1 Tbs. fresh chives finely sliced
Rinse the quinoa in cold water
Bring 2 cups water to a boil
Add the quinoa and salt, then cover about 30 minutes
You should have about 2 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
In a bowl, toss the cooked quinoa with the finely chopped cooked greens, using your fingers to distribute the greens
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbs. olive oil, plus more as needed
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- Sea salt, to taste
Garnish and Toppings
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and sliced
- Crumbled feta
- Pistachio nuts
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, cumin and a pinch of salt.
- Pour it over the quinoa and greens, add the mint and chives and toss to coat. Taste for salt.
- Spoon the quinoa mixture onto a platter. Cover the surface with the avocado, cheese and pistachios and serve.